Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pictures before the story, because I can't wait!

I just have to get a few of these before and after pictures posted.  The story is coming . . .

Here are a few before shots of Andrea's room I took about a month ago when my mom drove me to Cleveland to meet her.

 
 
The room already had a wonderful cafe latte color.  Andrea had a good mattress and boxspring sitting on the floor and a dresser and nightstand we could work with.  Directly in front of her bed was an old TV tray used as a stand for her TV and DVD player.  The lighting in the room was very gloomy.  The bedding and pillows were quite old and without any headboard did not provide near enough cushion for her sitting up in bed as much as she was.  I'm sure many of you recognize the old glider in the corner.  If I had a nickel for every master bedroom I have been in where the kids are grown and the moms just can't seem to part with this piece of furniture I'd be a wealthy woman.  Andrea was all for giving it the heave ho!  Andrea is in hospice care.  She definitely needed a comfortable sitting place outside her bed not only to give her back and neck a break and get her moving around but also for the nurses who are in and out and her friends and family who want to visit her.  I only met with Andrea the one time before moving forward on the project.  She would send ideas online to me, and I asked her specific questions to help me personalize the space.  Here are some photos of how the room looked when we left yesterday.
 
 
 
 
 

 

The decal over her bed is her favorite verse surrounded by butterflies.  She has six new comfy pillows and several throw pillows added for lots of support while sitting up in bed or lounging.  Her linens are luxurious with amazingly soft cotton sheets.  The blue and white are soothing while still completely brightening up the space.  We put her bed on a frame.  This adds height and support make a striking visual difference and helps her in getting in and out of bed.  My favorite spot is her chair corner where she can sit with a cup of tea, read and pray with the "Prince of Peace" looking over her.  The large silver mirror over the dresser matches her furniture hardware and reflects the light and enlarges the feeling of the room too.  I added other silver details like a mercury glass candlestick and little vases on the dresser.  We kept some of her favorite framed photos in the mix with new details.  The new TV stand was an old favorite piece of mine I had in my foyer as a console table.  I knew right away it needed to be part of this space.  It ties in the white in the linens, little white shelves and white verse beautifully.  It gives her much needed storage for papers and medical things she had been keeping beside her bed in plain view. 

As the afternoon sun shone in and Andrea came upstairs to see her room for the first time I could literally feel the healing and peace and utter joy the change would bring for her.  God was in it from the very first thought.  Pictures of Grace's room and Andrea's story are coming later today . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment