Monday, February 11, 2013

Loaves and Fishes


I remember the day I met Cindi.  She found me on facebook and told me she needed to drop off a gift for our family to me.  I was at Lake Cable recovering from my brain surgery and fusion.  I knew who she was through Delaney's school.  The year before her son had taken the money from a chapel challenge called "Loaves and Fishes" and through God's help had multiplied it enough to pay for his aunt's tombstone.  Around the time of my surgery I received a check from Cindi and her family.  They had committed to their own "Loaves and Fishes" project and chose us.  All said and done 36 individuals and families had given to us.   When she showed up on the snowy doorstep of my healing house and gave me the gift I knew how overwhelmingly special this woman was.  God was demonstrating specific love through her. 

After our meeting we didn't communicate directly very often on facebook.  Our children are in different grades at school, and let's face it, most moms, even in my girls classes, wouldn't know who I am, because I truly cannot be there like they are.  Last year when she posted about a high school friend who had cervical cancer and created a gofundme.com campaign to raise money for her and her family to take a vacation I was led to donate.  I did not do this lightly.  We were still living in my parent's basement. Our medical debt did and does remain enormous, and through our being blessed over and over by other's sacrifice and generosity we feel a particular burden when deciding how to give back wisely.  By giving I was also pledging to pray for Andrea and her dear ones and particularly for Cindi who was walking so closely with her on this journey.  I had traveled a similar road with my own friend.  I knew what a privilege and responsibility Cindi was living. 

I knew I wanted to begin "Angie's Room" in the first quarter of  2013.  There were a few other women I knew of through friends who were battling cancer and other chronic illnesses.  I had sent out some "feeler" emails to see if they thought in these cases a room makeover would be a good way to minister.  For several reasons they were not.  As I prayed for Andrea and followed her own facebook page I felt more led to talk to Cindi.  I sent her a message the last day of December asking her to call me when she could.  As I wrote in my journal about the prayerful hope God would help me in the new year reach further outside of my world to bless others He kept bringing Andrea to my mind and heart. 

I asked Cindi about more specifics regarding Andrea's living situation and especially her room and explained my idea.  Cindi said Andrea had actually mentioned wanting to make her room more organized and cozy since she had entered hospice care.  She wasn't doing well and Cindi didn't know if we really had the time to raise money for the project.  I had a little nest egg set aside to begin, but it wasn't near what is needed for even a basic change of scenery.  We waited and prayed and God moved in a special way to provide some unexpected money to Cindi and also the strength and Grace for me to know I could really do this even with my own challenges.

It happened quickly.  From January 9th to February 9th I planned and shopped (mostly online) and communicated a lot with Andrea not only about her room but also her sweet daughter's room.  It was important to Andrea that she also be blessed in this way.  My momma heart completely understood her desire for Grace to have a beautiful and peaceful place to play and rest.  Just like that God grew an idea and provided the resources and worked the details and Saturday it all became a reality. 

One of the most beautiful things to bloom is the relationships.  I have been so encouraged and overwhelmed by Cindi's giving heart and love for her friend and by Andrea's courage and strength and reflection of God in her suffering.  I believe this is just the beginning of how God could multiply this love.  I have dreams of local businesses and artists donating goods for rooms and those with physical gifts like painting and moving heavy things lining up to help on install day.  A man from church, Mike, painted a wall in Grace's room pink on Friday and Dan and Cindi were my only well bodied helpers.  It was especially wonderful for Dan and I to work together side by side.  The joy God gave us as a couple by being able to finally give something instead of take was healing.  I know for sure when we move with the Spirit and obey nothing is impossible!

1 comment:

  1. That is the best story I have heard in a long time. I definitely believe in Fate and everything happens for a reason.
    I wish you the best recovery. All I can say is Cindi was my good childhood friend, and I am saddened that I did not know her the last 20 years. We were reunited a few months ago on F/B. After reading this it is beginning to make sense. I am a quilter. I can't afford to help much right now, but soon... I can provide the skill if maybe someone else could provide some of the materials.. Just food for thought, thinking of ways to help as I always am!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete